Alright by now I’ve listened to these songs more than enough and now that I’ve watched them with the movie itself I feel it’s time to rank the Rainbow Rocks songs!
There were 10 songs in total, quite a bit to list so let’s get to it then
10. Bad Couterspell- Meghan and Dan said this was the “best worst song they’ve ever done” and I can’t argue with that. While kinda funny, unlike The Crusader’s Theme Song this wasn’t ironically enjoyable as a song and simply fulfilled its job of being an intentionally bad song.
9. Better Than Ever- This is probably my least favorite of the “real” songs, but only because some others were really good, and this one was simply alright. Not bad though.
8. Awesome as I Wanna Be- Probably the most accurate theme for Rainbow Dash ever, and I liked how it had this almost Avril Lavigne pop-punk sound to it. A little too short and suffers from punk’s biggest flaw of being sometimes too repetitive
7. Shake Your Tail- This is a fun song, and I like the synth in it but it’s chorus is too repetitive. Still fun to listen to.
6. Tricks Up My Sleeve- Leave it to Trixie to get a frigging weird song. It has like Dubstep mixed with this weird drum and Trixie does some kind of rap singing. It’s definitely hard to forget and the lyrics are just perfect for Trixie (kinda wished she sang this directly at Twilight during the movie).
5.Rainbow Rocks- Not gonna lie, the visuals of the opener really bumped this one up for me. It really makes the song seem more lively when its used for the intro and I love the guitar work in it.
4.Battle- Oddly enough this one dropped down a spot due to the final mix used for the film, which had a bunch of extra effects and stuff piled onto it. I kinda wish they had kept the original version from the Comic Con teaser but it’s still a really good song and really different for MLP. It starts slow and has this eerie quality to it before it builds into this massive chorus and becomes a true call to war.
3.Under Our Spell- The Dazzlings really did get the best songs. This one is really nice and has this same eerie quality to it, mostly from Adagio’s singing. Probably one of my favorite villain songs.
2.Welcome to the Show/Rainbooms Battle- Here it is, the climax and longest song of the movie. It’s more like an intertwining of two songs: one by the Dazzlings and one by the Rainbooms. I liked how the contrast between their styles (slower, more haunting for the Dazzlings and more energetic and cheerful for the Rainbooms) worked so well for a back and forth battle.
Unfortunately, epic climax or not I have to give it to
1. Shine Like Rainbows- Of course I’d pick the most freaking shippy song for #1. I mean listening to the lyrics I can only think “jeez girls why don’t you all just start dating already?” It’s a really upbeat song with a nice sound and was the perfect song to finish the movie with and I couldn’t pick any other song for my favorite.